AmeriCorps Crews are small teams of passionate young people just like you!
AmeriCorps Crew Members (A*C CMs) are between the ages of 17 and 26 years old. Please note, to join your crew, you must be at least 17 years old to be a Day Crew AC Crew Members and at least 18 years old to be Camping Crew A*C CMs at the start of the service term (when the crew season begins). A*C CM’s come from all over the US—in 2019, we had Corps Members from 28 states.
AmeriCorps Position Stipend and Benefits!
The heart of an AmeriCorps experience is about serving your community. You are paid a weekly stipend throughout the experience and receive a Segal Education Award at the end of the season.
In addition, you enjoy a number of benefits and perks:
- Student loan forbearance
- Student loan interest payment for service time – individuals who successfully complete a term of service in an AmeriCorps program are eligible to have the Trust pay up to 100% of the interest that accrued on their qualified student loan during their service.
- Living allowance
- Health benefit options – 1,700 hour Americorps members are eligible to receive Health Insurance through AmeriCorps if they are not already enrolled in a Health Insurance Plan. All other A*C positions are assisted in applying for affordable insurance through Vermont Health Connect.
- Weekly vegetable share
- Room and Board
- A Segal Education Award to help pay for college, grad school, vocational training or to repay student loans
- Professional development opportunities that will strengthen your interpersonal, team, and leadership skills.
- Hands on learning on the Farm in agriculture, food systems, cooking and nutrition and in Conservation a range of trades work including carpentry, masonry, forestry, and more.
- Participation and experience in Vermont’s thriving sustainable agriculture community and outdoor industry.
- Service to many Vermont communities, directly impacting food insecurity, climate change, and accessibility to the outdoors.
- Robust training, mentorship and professional development opportunities
- You will get a cohort work and living experience of like-minded individuals that will stay with you for life.
- After your service, the chance to leverage VYCC’s Alumni Services, through career networking, career assistance, coaching, and more.
2020 Season Dates
AmeriCorps Crews run for the summer (mid-June until mid-August), fall (mid-August until early-November) and summer through fall (mid- to early-November). AmeriCorps Crews either serve for nine weeks or 20 week (5 month) on a Day or Camping crew.
Our Conservation AmeriCorps Crews come back to our Headquarters for a Crew Campus Week, which creates an additional training opportunity to dive more deeply into work and learning. During this time, Crews engage in highly technical projects with VYCC staff, leave their mark on our campus for future crews to admire, and explore career opportunities while gaining additional trainings and certifications.