“I joined VYCC to get down in the dirt, connect with the earth and with people. It feels really good to be doing work that helps people access nature and helps provide people with food.” – Karli
VYCC is all about working on a crew (a small team).
You’ll work hard together and laugh a lot. You’ll help each other, and be surprised at what you can get done together! Sure, you will start out as strangers. After 36 years of running crews, we can assure you, you’ll leave with friends.
Our goal is to make sure you are safe and supported. Your goal will be to complete projects that make your community and the environment healthier.
Crews are all about growing food, building trails, cleaning up our waterways, building efficient backcountry shelters, and/or improving forest health.
Do you want to get paid to make a difference? If so, we hope you’ll join VYCC!
Now Hiring for Fall 2022:
Conservation Pro Crew Members, ages 20+ camping in VT – Details here
Want to talk to a real person? Email our recruitment team, or text us at (802) 560-8466
Crew Leaders are the mentors, guides, and teachers that help crew members accomplish their goals. They hold the big picture- the crew, the project, their individual crew members- and bring it all together to lead their crew to success.
Project Leads serve on the farm and specialize in a specific area of Food and Farm operations. Individually and as a cohort, they contribute to the Health Care Share Project, a food security initiative that grows and distributes food to Vermont communities.
As a team, we work hard, outdoors, on projects that matter to our communities. And we grow.
Let’s talk about that a bit….
· As a team – Circle up at the start of each day – what tools do we need, which farm field or section of trail are we working, who is cooking, who is planting, who has a great game to play? “Honestly, my biggest accomplishment was making some truly incredible friends. The people I worked with at VYCC are strong, funny, passionate folks, and I am so grateful to have them in my life.” -Bex
· We work hard – We sure do! We move large rocks to build trails, harvest thousands of potatoes in a morning, dig holes to plant trees along our rivers, pack boxes of food for hundreds of families, and clean our tools at the end of a long day.
· Outdoors — On our beautiful farm in Richmond, in state parks, on trails, and on the lake. All day. Will there be rain, bugs, hot days, cold mornings, and mud? Yes, there will! Will there be Vermont beauty, songbirds, sunrises, overlooks, and the energy of being outside all day every day? Oh yeah, that too! “I’m passionate about showing people how powerful, wholesome, beautiful, and healing the outdoors can be…. Oh, and I love being SILLY!” – Andy
· On meaningful projects – that matter to our communities! We build trails that increase access to the outdoors, create backcountry infrastructure that supports our state lands, grow fresh food for Vermonters in need, and improve the health of our forests and waterways.
· And grow personally — When we dig in and work together on meaningful projects, we believe in ourselves and each other, feel a strong sense of belonging, build skills, and see possibility in all directions. “My proudest moment was seeing my saw crew grow as sawyers, and see them start taking on bigger and more complex trees with confidence.” – Sable
If you are ready to dig in, with a spirit of curiosity and courage, then this is the place for you. Believe in yourself; we certainly do!
Learning together, with difference, and kindness: We are strongest when VYCC represents all members of our community, we lean into and learn from our similarities and differences, and we celebrate one another with kindness. VYCC is committed to creating an inclusive experience for our Corps Members and reducing barriers so that all people can thrive at VYCC.
For the safety of all members of VYCC, we require all staff, including all Crew Leaders and Members, to be vaccinated before their start date.
All VYCC employees must adhere to this policy, with the exception of those with documented medical conditions that prevent such vaccination. For safety purposes, we will require Corps Members to submit proof of vaccination. This information will be kept confidential.
If you have any questions or need help finding resources to become fully vaccinated, please feel free to reach out to our Admin Manager, Kay.
“I joined VYCC because I knew it would open up opportunities in the future, I got to work outside, and work with an organization trying to make a difference.”
– Jack McCarthy, 2018 Crew Member, 2019 Crew Leader