Apply now for 2019 Crew Leader and Crew Member positions!
This summer and fall could change your life! VYCC provides young people (ages 15 and older) with awesome outdoor experiences that not only spark future jobs or learning but also help you make a difference in saving the planet through conservation or farming.
Questions? Email our Recuitment Manager, Nora!
#OneCorpsAllCorps | Let’s Dig In!
Our Corps is made up of Crew Leaders and Crew Members who are supported by a big team of seasonal and full-time staff, along with our many project partners who work directly in the farming and conservation sectors in Vermont.
Come change the world with us through farming that feeds Vermonters in need or by protecting our environment and improving outdoor recreation. We pay you (yes, this is a job!) to be outside and be on a crew with 6-8 of your peers as you do your part. Your crews will quickly bond as you tackle challenging projects, improve your personal and professional skills, and yes, have fun!
Types of Crew Positions + Ages
Crew Members are Vermont youth (ages 15-18) or young people from all over (ages 18-26). No experience is needed as you join a crew your same age, led by two older Crew Leaders on conservation projects or on our farm. We strive to hire crews that come from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Depending on your crew you may focus on leadership skills development, watershed restoration, trail work, farming, or more hands-on work. Apply!
Crew Leaders are at least 20 years old, have some outdoor work and leadership experience, as well as some additional qualifications. Our Crews are lead by pairs of Crew Leaders, teamed up to complement each other in skills, backgrounds, and social identities. Often we hire former Crew Members to step up to be Crew Leaders. Apply!
Types of Conservation and Farm Crews + Dates
We have a variety of crew experiences that start as early as March/April and go as late as October. We operate in 4-week sessions, with the majority of the season happening from mid-June until mid-August.
- Conservation Community Crews – Join other Vermont youth from Burlington, South Burlington, Williston and Woodstock in city parks, natural areas, and at the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park. Work with us in the day and sleep in your own bed. Learn more and check the 2019 crew dates.
- Farm Community Crews – Team up on our farm in Richmond or in Newport on the Bluffside farm and help feed Vermonters in need through our award-winning Health Care Share program. Work with us in the day and sleep in your own bed. Learn more and check the 2019 crew dates.
- Spike (Camping) Crews – Dig into projects on the Long Trail, in Vermont state parks, and in the Vermont backcountry as you live/camp near your work sites. We offer slightly longer-lasting Spike Crews into the fall and, to help increase diversity and access in the outdoors, award-winning identity-based Spike crews for American Sign Language (ASL) Inclusion and Women of Wilderness (WoW). Learn more and check the 2019 crew dates.
- Peer Crews – These are highly skilled crews for Corps Members who team up in the spring or stick around into the fall to do more technical projects, deepening their skills together! These crews are made up of either Conservation Crew Leaders in the Spring or Fall or Food and Farm Young Adult Crew Members who are ready to work together with year-round Farm staff.
Strong crews are diverse crews.
VYCC is committed to creating a diverse environment and teams. Corps Member applications from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, women and gender fluid individuals, individuals of all sexual orientations, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Being a VYCC alum is worth it.
After your season, you join a growing network of over 7,000 alumni who are now in tons of different job sectors, doing all sorts of cool jobs. Our alums often look to hire recent alums! VYCC is also committed to making sure you get lots of alumni perks including on-going learning opportunities in the trades, future career or college application support, pro-deals and discounts with select local businesses and the opportunity to earn academic or internship credit. Scholarships of $1,000 are available to all VYCC alumni accepted to attend Sterling College.
Will we see you at Start Up this June?
“Prior to VYCC I had a hard time standing up for what I believed in. I didn’t have strong leadership skills and I didn’t question what was asked of me. Since joining, I have found my footing in a leadership role. I can feel myself gaining confidence in achieving my goals and going after what I want!”
– Sophia, Women of Wilderness (WoW) Crew Member