Leading a crew is an adventure unlike any you’ve ever had before! As a teacher, work supervisor, and a role model, you will be responsible for building a community, ensuring your crew’s health and safety, and teaching life and job skills. By professionally managing your work project and ensuring high-quality standards, you’ll stretch your comfort zones and bask in the sweet rewards that follow.
Crew Leaders have a passion for leading a crew of Crew Members who are between the ages of 15 and 24 and from all walks of life. We hire Crew Leaders and Members of varied interests and talents, representing many social, economic, and geographical backgrounds. The combination of a diverse crew, excellent leaders, and high-priority conservation projects creates a dynamic and educationally rich experience.
Are you working on your leadership skills? Hoping to hone your skills a bit more before taking on a Team Leader position? An Assistant Crew Leader position is just for you. Our Assistant Crew Leaders work along side a Crew Leader to help guide and mentor the crew throughout the summer. This is the perfect opportunity for someone who is looking to gain more experience in a leadership role.
No matter which leadership role you’re in, you start the season with paid staff training during which we will focus on teaching both technical and interpersonal skills needed to be a successful leader at VYCC, while also drawing out your own strengths and enhancing your existing skills. You will use what you’ve learned to transform your crew from a varied group of strangers into a tight-knit community.
- Earn up to $585 per week
- AmeriCorps positions earn an AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion.
- Free (we pay for it!) Wilderness First Aid Certification (must come early to training on May 20th to complete)
- Robust training prior to the season starting (starts May 22) including trainings and certifications, including but not limited to:
- Leave No Trace (c)
- 3 day Professional Technical training including carpentry, dirt and stone work with local professionals in the field
- Equity and Inclusion
- Risk Assessment and Safety Management
- Youth development
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health
- Health Care and Dental Insurance, for Long Term Crew Leaders (May-Late October)!
- Are you a returner? You may be eligible for our Simple IRA!
- Farm fresh food from our farm.
- Housing (limited on the farm, please inquire)
- One week session breaks (every 4 weeks), which include 2-3 days off to play in Vermont!
- Career and college advancement opportunities and pathway support
- Discounts and pro-deals at some of your favorite retailers including, Prana, Red Ants Pants, Lenny’s Shoe and Apparel and many others!
- Access to our robust Alumni network for networking and future adventures!
Take a look at our Position Descriptions for a more thorough description of a Crew Leader: