We believe our community is stronger when we hold ourselves to the highest of standards.
High standards and clear policies ensure each crew functions as a safe and happy community in which Corps Members learn and are able to complete timely, high-quality projects. These policies have been developed and refined with Corps Member, Crew Leader, and staff feedback over the course of VYCC’s 30+ years of experience.
The following policies contribute to a healthy community.
All members are expected to observe these policies throughout the duration of their experience:
- Keep a positive attitude
- Be a consistent member of the team
- Work hard and to full potential
- Maintain punctuality
- Bring all safety gear
- Use tools and equipment properly
- Maintain a professional appearance
- Use appropriate language
- Follow Crew Leader’s directions
- Participate in all activities
- Avoid exclusive relationships
- Follow crew-specific policies
To ensure the safety of all, the following actions are not tolerated on our crews:
- Violence and threats of violence
- Possession, use, suspicion of use, or being in the presence of tobacco, alcohol, and/or drugs
- Physical intimacy
Additional elements to a fun and safe experience include:
- We ask all Corps Members to unplug as a part of this experience. Crew Leaders are equipped with phones to communicate with VYCC Headquarters, Project Sponsors and others as needed.
- While swimming after a hard day of work is appealing, it is also very dangerous, so VYCC has a strict set of expectations limiting types of water activity that is permitted on crew
- A simple safety rule: Wear shoes or sandals at all times outside of your tent. It is simply not worth the risk of injury. An injured foot can require you to cut your VYCC experience short.
- VYCC is an equal opportunity employer and offers all persons the benefit of participation in its programs and employments regardless of age, ancestry, biological sex, color, gender identity, physical or mental condition, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected factors.