We believe our community is stronger when we hold ourselves to the highest of standards.
High standards and clear policies ensure each crew functions as a safe and happy community in which Corps Members learn and are able to complete timely, high-quality projects. These policies have been developed and refined with Corps Member, Crew Leader, and staff feedback over the course of VYCC’s 30+ years of experience.
Safety and Health: Foster a safe working and living environment.
- Be respectful of other people’s personal property and space.
- Use tools, equipment, and vehicles properly.
- Ensure that all personal equipment (food, water, medication) is available when needed.
Support: Have care for self and others.
- Practice self-care, including physical and mental health, and proper hygiene.
- Access health services (physical and mental) when needed.
- Check in with your supervisor frequently and consistently.
- Take action to support others.
Community: Create a culture of belonging.
- Encourage inclusive relationships that strengthen the VYCC community.
- Check in with your crew regularly.
- Create a safe space for constructive, specific, and objective feedback.
- Engage in open and respectful communication.
Grit and Resiliency: Lean into challenge and learn from failure.
- Maintain a growth mindset.
- Strive for a positive mental attitude.
- Dig deep, step outside your comfort zone.
- Receive and use feedback to learn from challenges.
- Give feedback to help others grow and learn.
Accountability: Be accountable to yourself and your crew.
- Be a consistent member of your crew.
- Advocate for yourself and others.
- Own up to your mistakes and celebrate your successes.
- Create and uphold a crew contract.
Professionalism: Have pride in your work and model professionalism.
- Work to your fullest potential.
- Uphold VYCC project standards.
- Represent VYCC in ways that are positive and in keeping with our principles.